SET SEG Insurance and Risk Management Scholarship
The Insurance & Risk Management Scholarship was created to honor the legacy of a valued SET SEG team member and aims to support students pursuing higher education in principles of insurance and risk management. SET SEG is proud to provide assistance and resources for students working toward a career in insurance and risk management and mitigation practices.
- Must be a high school senior or college student pursuing an undergraduate degree in insurance or risk management
- Must be a full-time student (college students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours)
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for high school students and 2.5 for college students
- Preference given to Michigan public high school student or graduate
- Students who have immediate family (parents, siblings, spouse, step-family, and in-laws) that are active SET SEG employees or board members are not eligible
$1,000 scholarships will be granted to community college students per academic year
$2,500 scholarships will be granted to university students per academic year
- Scholarships will be applied in the upcoming academic year
- Scholarships can be renewed for up to a total of four academic years (8 semesters total), provided the individual satisfies the eligibility criteria
- Scholarship must be used exclusively for insurance-related program educational costs (tuition, books, etc.)
- Submit the application and supporting materials by March 29, 2024.
- Include a copy of your transcript with the submission.
- Scholarship winners will be notified by the end of April 2024.
ABOUT ALAN L. FERGIN, 1946-2021
Alan Fergin was an integral member of SET SEG for nearly 40 years, serving as Chief Administrator of the Workers’ Compensation Fund and Property/Casualty Pool from 2004 until his retirement in 2016. After his ALS diagnosis in 2018, Alan remained a loyal, respected advisor for the SET SEG executive team until his final months. Alan was a respected leader in the organization who contributed ideas, processes, and procedures that would shape SET SEG’s future development. Alan was an exemplary team member and mentor and was a bright spot in the conservative world of insurance. He is remembered for his passionate leadership, knowledge, industry influence, and unique brand of humor.